Wednesday, June 26, 2013

A Special Project - a little break from quilting

Today I made a bag. It's the pattern I picked up while at the Quilting show in Baltimore in May. Last week I got the interfacing that I need (specifically I got enough for 2 bags worth since I knew I wanted to make one for myself, too).

One of my cousins is going to have a baby this fall, and I knew I wanted to make something for her. I'm sure I'll also make a quilt for the baby, but I wanted to make something that would be functional and useful. She LOVES giraffes, always has, and even more so after a safari trip in Tanzania about 5 years ago. She also likes using all different bags and has fun accessorizing. Her baby should be able to accessorize in style with giraffes, too.

This is by far the most involved bag construction I've ever done. It has external pockets with elastic and outer pockets on both sides along with inner pockets. The last thing I need to do is put on the zipper/gusset, but that will take very little time. In terms of total working time, it probably took me about 6 hours to make this bag, but that's because I did orange peel quilting on the main body of the bag to make it extra sturdy. If I hadn't done that and for subsequent ones where I know the order/process, my guess is it's a 3-3.5 hour bag. Wonder Clips were used extensively during construction.

Nice drop handles that fit over shoulders well. The front/back are identical with the double external center pockets.  
 Inside - there are three pockets on each side made from where the straps are sewn - these have fusible fleece and are fully lined, so they are sturdy pockets. 
 Sides match the front pockets and have an elasticized pocket 
perfect for holding a bottles (water or for baby)
 Close up of the elasticized pocket. 

This pattern is called the Little Sister Bag and the pattern also includes a clutch wallet pattern which I haven't made (yet).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is fantastic! Give me your thoughts, and I make every attempt to respond to all of them.