Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Big Block Roller Rink Quilt

I've seen the Roller Rink quilt done a number of times. I decided to use that as inspiration for my own design. I took the mitred corner class at the Quilt Expo in Baltimore in May. I'm putting that to good use. I'm doing a full quilt where every block has mitred corners.  Each of these blocks measures 10"x30" - definitely a change from all the paper piecing I've been doing.


Apologies on the lighting, I just took the pictures at 8:45pm. Half of the blocks will look like this with the gray running down the long side and the white across the short. The other half will be the inverse. This will make for some interest where the corner of the blocks meet up. 

I made all 27 center sections on Saturday at the DC Modern Quilt Guild sewing day held at the Arlington Library. I've been following their blog since I knew I'd be moving back here, and this was the first meeting that I was able to go to. I met a number of people whom I've followed via Instagram and their blogs as well as meeting many other faces of the DC Quilting community. 

When this quilt is done, it will be heading to a Navy friend stationed in Japan. After he got there and got his housing settled, he asked if he could commission one, but I wasn't going to let him pay what it really costs for a queen quilt, so it'll be headed overseas because he was my battle buddy (most of the time) while we were at training. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is fantastic! Give me your thoughts, and I make every attempt to respond to all of them.